I have a tendency to be distracted by squirrels and other quick moving objects… so the book “The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results” by Gary Keller has been a massive paradigm shift for me. (Yes, those are towels drying in the background)
Not to sound dramatic but The One Thing book can change your life. It isn’t easy, but it’s powerful and simple.
About The One Thing Book In A Nut Shell
Since its 2013 publication, The ONE Thing has made more than 125 appearances on national bestseller lists, including #1 Wall Street Journal, New York Times, USA Today, Publisher’s Weekly, Entertainment Weekly, Los Angeles Times, Reuters, BookScan, and 800CEOREAD.
The ONE Thing was chosen one of the Top 5 Business Books of 2013 by Hudson’s Booksellers and one of Top 30 Business Books of 2013 by Executive Book Summaries.
People are using the simple, powerful concept of The One Thing to avoid overwhelming distractions in their personal and work lives so they can focus on what matters most.
YOU WANT LESS… You want fewer distractions and less on your plate. The daily barrage of e-mails, texts, tweets, messages, and meetings distract you and stress you out. The simultaneous demands of work and family are taking a toll. And what’s the cost? Second-rate work, missed deadlines, smaller paychecks, fewer promotions—and lots of stress.
AND YOU WANT MORE… You want more productivity from your work. More income for a better lifestyle. You want more satisfaction from life, and more time for yourself, your family, and your friends.
NOW YOU CAN HAVE BOTH—LESS AND MORE.
In The ONE Thing Book, you’ll learn to:
- cut through the clutter
- achieve better results in less time
- build momentum toward your goal
- dial down the stress
- overcome that overwhelmed feeling
- revive your energy
- stay on track
- master what matters to you
What I Have Learned From The One Thing Book
*NOTE* I am in the process of going over my notes, so the content below will become more organized and coherent as I do that.
- If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.
- “Where I had huge success, I had narrowed my concentration to one thing, and where my success varied, my focus had too… and the light came on”
- “You need to be doing fewer thing for more effect instead of doing more thing with side effects.”
- “So when you think about success, shoot for the moon. The moon is reachable if you prioritize everything and put all of your energy into accomplishing the most important thing. Hit the first domino and bigger ones will fall behind it.”
- “You do the right thing and then the next right thing”
- “It applies to the smallest moments of the day when you’re trying to decide what to do next”
- Putting effort into pushing two dominos makes you weak and they may not fall. Push one thing with all your strength.
- “When you see someone who has a lot of knowledge, they learned it over time. When you see someone who has a lot of skills, they developed them over time. When you see someone who has done a lot, they accomplished it over time. When you see someone who has a lot of money, they earned it over time… 98% of the time. Sometimes you only see the last 15 minutes of their life movie special and assume it was an overnight success… but 98% of the time, there was years of preparation for that one shot that pushed the big domino.
- This even applies to ONE person, take the concept and apply it to people and you’ll see where one person can make all the difference in changing someone’s life. No one is self made. Max Talmud ate a meal a week with Albert Einstein for 6 years guiding him. Sam Walton was loaned $20,000 to get started by L.S. Robson.
The ONE Thing delivers extraordinary results in every area of your life—work, personal, family, and spiritual. WHAT’S YOUR ONE THING?