There is a lot of talk about the power of intention these days and as well there should be. Intention is the start of all great things. Dr. Wayne Dyer made it famous with his book, and the movie “The secret” is latest proponent of this mental mind set. What needs to be said though, is that the power of intention without action will never grow into anything bigger than the brain cell it came from.
Here is what you can do now, to make tomorrow better. Its intention mixed with action.
1) Get out of your comfort zone. You are there because it’s easy to tread water there. When you do new things each day, life is filled with a sense of accomplishment. You are creating a space for things to happen in your life. Think about this; if you changed absolutely nothing in your life, would anything different happen? Probably not and if it did, it is not something you consciously invited. If you didn’t create it by doing something different, you have no way of making more of it happen if you liked it. Worse, if you didn’t like the change that came, do you know what to stop doing so that it doesn’t happen again? This makes you passive victim.
2) Do what you can and let the results look after themselves. You can never totally dictate how any set of circumstances will turn out. You can however have control over the actions you take in trying to have a favorable outcome.
You will come across this idea in the book “The Four Agreements“. All you can ever do is your very best. Once you do that, the results are out of your hands, so let it go.
3) If something makes you feel “blah”, then change it. This is my biggest thing and I think I’ll write another whole article on it. Long story short however is that you get one kick at the cat. If something makes you unhappy, try to change it or you have no right to bring other people down complaining about it.
You can change your circumstances or you can continue on the same path. The choice is yours. If you don’t want the most from your life that you can possibly have, that is your personal choice. You CAN have whatever you want however when you intend more and then take action on it.
4) Do what you like over and over. If something makes you happy, do it as much as you can. Make a list of things that really crank you up and do as many of them as you can as often as you can.
If you spent every day doing things that made you happy, would you be happy? It is a simple question with a simple answer. Sometimes too simple for most to realize and make happen. But you can.
5) Don’t lie to your self. This one is a little harder to explain. Don’t settle for second best if you want more. Don’t make yourself comfortable in situations that are not your ideal. Don’t spend 20 years in a job you don’t like.
Do you really love your job or is that something you tell folks because you cant handle the truth? Are you happy with your partner or are you just scared to lose the little happiness you DO have? Don’t lie to yourself and when the truth surfaces, take action on the answers your soul tells you.
6) Workout. Your body carries around your brain and your soul. A dysfunctional body makes life that much harder to enjoy.
7) Have a high moral code. This code is your code so stick to it. Until your actions are in sink with your beliefs, you will never feel content or at peace with yourself. Other people have their own codes, so don’t be upset when people don’t agree with you in every situation.
An example of this is a smoker who wants to be fit. At their core, fitness is their true desire and every time they have a smoke, that little voice inside starts chirping. That little voice can get really annoying after a while! Until your actions match your true desires, you will feel conflicted inside.
8) Nip it in the bud. Is there is a situation, person, feeling or anything else that is getting to you? Drop everything and deal with it now. Things like this are festering wounds to the mind and get worse with time.
Why would you not deal with this here and now? Probably because you are scared. You feel fear of some sort. Get over it. The worst thing that most people can think of that can happen is death. Ever hear a dead person complain? You have to go sometime, might as well do your best to have things the way you like them while you are here.
I have never regretted taking a chance. Mistakes are a part of a well lived life. The only regrets I ever have are missed opportunities to make my life better because I was scared.
You are the main actor in the movie of your life. You write the script. Only you can make the plot something that you are willing to watch each and every day. Intend it and take action.
If you have an example where you have done this even to the smallest degree, please share below and help inspire others to do the same.
(Leopard photo credit Intention Vs Action)